Saturday, September 13, 2008

Book Fair Experience

Late this afternoon, I decided to check out the 29th Manila International Book Fair held at the SMX Convention Center. I've started attending this activity yearly since 1998. Back then it was held at the Megamall. Then when the World Trade Center was built, it had its run in the center and now in the newly built SMX Convention Center.

I used to be fascinated by the numerous discounted books surrounding me during this activity. It is my frustration since as a kid to have my own big library someday. Until now it is still a dream since I've only got a few shelves of various book titles. In every book sale, I try to buy as many books that my money can afford! I've always loved to buy books that I haven't read yet (and of course something that I can afford). Fortunately and unfortunately, I love to read books and magazines and anything that I can get hold of may it be at the library or borrowing from somebody else that's why I only end up buying a few titles for myself. For those books that I cannot afford, I try to read through them page by page in the bookstore as libraries nowadays are hard to find in the metro.

This time around, I was relatively surprised that I was only able to buy a few books. I've scoured the area for great titles! Unfortunately I got discouraged by a lot of attendees at the book fair that I have a hard time checking out the shelves for great buys. I was about to buy a recipe books but I got discouraged by the long line to the cashier. What I managed to buy were a few prayer books, a CD containing prayers of the rosary and Eckhart Tole's The Power of Now.

No comments: