Monday, August 4, 2008

Choose Wellness Mid-Evaluation

Today, I just had my mid-evaluation for my participation in our company's I Choose Wellness Program. I Choose Wellness is a year long campaign for better nutrition as well as health and wellness. It is the employees prerogative if he wants to be into this program. I joined hundreds of colleagues who took part in this endeavor. I take pride of working for the company I'm currently with as non-monetary benefits such as this motivates the employee to do better in their personal life which in a way has a positive effect in their job performance.

In this program, we have nutritionist who will see us monthly and conducts one on one nutrition counseling based on our eating habits, our physical activity, weight and height. Given this information, she will help us plan a health regimen that meets our own fitness goals. Most of the programs are achievable depends on how much discipline an employee puts into it.

There are daily wellness activities in the company and we can choose which activities we would like to attend to. Group class choices would be yoga, body combat, latin groove among others. I only knew of these 3 as they were the only ones I've been to. If one is not into these types, there is always the gym and almost an entire floor in the office is dedicated for it. If one opts to have a personal trainor, he may do so at his own additional expense.

I've never been fond of the gym before. What I've only tried were the various group classes. Unfortunately, it helped a little in improving my physical performance during our evaluation earlier. I've decided to try out the gym within the week and hopefully would achieve better results.

Apart from these programs, we also have a "nutrition quotient" training where we learn facts about nutrition in a fun way. This would also teach us how to eat healthy. Problem is the application bit as it is easier said than done that "moderation, variety and balance is key in choosing which foods to eat".

What's good about this program is that progress (or regress) is being monitored and evaluated. Pre, mid and post evaluation are being done (all the works! - measuring fat, flexibility, endurance, height and weight etc.) The team (nutritionists, doctors, trainors and employees) are helping each other out to commit to a better and healthy lifestyle. I do hope that other companies would offer these types of initiatives for a better work-life balance amongst their employees.

No comments: