Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fuel High

I have not been a regular driver for the past 3 months. My husband recently transferred to a new job wherein he is not yet entitled to some regular employee benefits (such as car loan) thus we share a car for now. He is our designated driver during weekdays - drops me off in the office few minutes away from our place, goes along his sales route and travels an average of 100 km a day, then picks me up at work at the end of the day.

Being in a sales position, he is entitled to some gas allowance that would last for a month. We were shocked to see that fuel prices these days have ballooned to a high of 30% compared to last year's prices!! We were coming up with our own little ways on how to save on fuel.. Mostly those that are doable on our part.

Tried to come up with a few fuel saving tips and here's our list:

1. Carpool as much as possible. I miss my officemate who was also my neighbor. Nowadays, I ask my husband to drive me off to work rather than take a cab on my own.
2. Minimize unnecessary outings or mall getaways. We lessened our trip to the mall these days. It's been quite expensive for us if we go out once a month as there's fuel prices to consider as well as dining expenses and miscellaneous shopping expenses!
3. Check engine and have car for maintenance regularly.
4. Maximize fuel efficiency by taking car at a manageable high speed when driving along the highways
5. If possible, minimize aircon use
6. Check the tires. The more appropriate one's car tires gauge are, the better and fuel efficient it is.
7. Avoid using the brakes too much. Apart from brake pads burning, this would consume a lot of fuel as well.
8. If necessary, do not engage in full tank fuel load. This will make your car heavier (imagine excess/additional 45 liters to carry in your car!)
9. Walk if necessary especially for short distance trips.
10. Park nearest the parking entrance, farthest to your office door/destination door. Apart from promoting wellness, you might as well save some gas.

Can't think much of anything that could be added in the list so I got to bail out now and this time recharge my energy for tomorrow and get myself to sleep.

No comments: