Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Childhood Memories

Wish I was a child back again.. with no deadlines to beat.. no work to rush.. All was mostly about play and friends. Didn't feel the pressure back then.. I'm now in my late twenties dreading the time that my age is not reflected in the calendar anymore. As I grow older, I try to reminisce what I did during my childhood days that I surely am missing right now.

- I miss my Mary Poppins daily viewing schedule. There was a time that I was addicted to Mary Poppins. This was my morning show before. As I wake up in the morning, I go to my parents room, turn on the TV and betamax and catch my daily dose of Mary Poppins. I even dreamt of flying with a nanny and climbing chimneys! Imagine how I felt when I finally saw the area in UK where they shot Chim Chimney part!

- Experimenting with my disney book of experiments. The favorite experiment I can remember was letting a softdrink glass bottle cool in the freezer and after a few hours I would take it out, cover its opening as big as a centavo coin that fits it's bottle mouth and drip a few drops of water and see the magic!

- Playing with my friendly neighbors! I miss them so much that I don't even see them in the village anymore only in social networking sites such as friendster and facebook. There were many summers spent together that sometimes I wish everyone is ok wherever they may be.

- I miss doing our "shout" for gathering.. We developed a sound cue that would mean "get out" to various playmates. This was even adopted by our friends from other streets. Even our parents decoded our sound and sometimes prohibits us to go out when they start to hear someone shout "ahak!"

- Speaking of friendly neighbors, I miss flying our personalized kite around the villages. We even tried flying our kite on top of our neighbor's roof to the horror of our nannies!

- Riding the bike around the village and other nearby villages

- Running around like hell and playing games like there's no tomorrow.

- Creating our own "treehouse" and "camp area" that was taken down by a heavy rain. We never repeated building it again as one of my playmates got admitted to the hospital for dengue fever.

- Walking all day exploring our villages and saw the great sights nearby such as the wide meadow near the cemetery, the nearby river with great tree roots hanging nearby used as a makeshift swing.

- Playing hide and seek

- Forming our own street cult where kids from other streets perceive us to be cool and wanted to hang out with us more often

- Joining Flores de Mayo during May months and doing something good at least for a short span of time.

- Playing whatever fun games that we can think of that involves running around and playing tag.

And the list goes on but I got to stop for now as I suddenly came back to reality that things needs to be done tonight and by tomorrow.. I gotta need to rest to be able to meet rush deadlines.

No comments: