Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Airline Up and Downgrade Experiences

I just learned from the news that Qantas Airlines had an emergency landing in Manila. Imagine a 1 mile per minute descending flight! Previous days, my high school friends shared me their stories of their own experience at the airport during their adventure outside the country. I pondered on the thought of sharing my experience as well during my trip to other countries.

My upgrade experience came about 5 years ago during my coming home trip from a seminar in Egypt. Unfortunately our travel agent in the office booked us for a return flight back home with a waitlisted flight from Egypt-Dubai but a confirmed flight in Dubai-Manila. I was so scared of being left from the flight as other colleagues of mine on the same flight got a confirmed ticket booking. As part of company policy, we are booked on a business class if the flight extends to more than 3 hours. As we went to the airport in Eqypt, I was asked to wait in the Economy class area. My colleagues were kind enough to wait with me and their business class privileges were foregone by doing so. I was very happy upon learning that we can still be on board the same flight and much more we were upgraded to Emirates first class rather than being in business class.

It was a one of a kind experience for me. Even though I was not dressed fit for a first class passenger - my co-passengers were mostly on business suits and looked like high profile CEOs, I enjoyed the experience, slept comfortably during my flight to Dubai.

Years have passed and I have always looked forward to being upgraded in first class from business class. Two years ago, in one of my foreign trips, I had a downgrade experience and hoping that it would never happen to me again.

I took the chance to take a vacation the week after our seminar in Vevey and tour London by myself as it was my first time to be in Europe. I enjoyed the sights and places that I've been to but I just hoped that my husband was with me then. We were being practical enough then that instead of him being with me, we saved the money since we were in the process of finalizing our house purchase.

During my last day in UK on the way to the Heathrow airport, I took the chance to indulge myself and take a cab instead of taking the Tube. I was surprised to see that the path going to Terminal 2 was closed by some policemen. I originally thought that UK deployed such a huge number of police in the airport. I had no choice but to get off my cab at Terminal 1 and pushed my big red luggage all the way to Terminal 2. Trolleys were nowhere in sight thus I managed to push my luggage minding not to miss my flight. Imagine how big international airports could be that it is such a feat to transfer from Terminal 1 to another by foot with a big luggage to drag. When I was near the escalator going to the entrance of Terminal 2, I was shocked to see that it was closed to all passengers. I managed to ask various airport personnel on why the Terminal was closed and how do we go about our scheduled flights. I only got a standard answer of "Terminal 2 is undergoing airport security procedures. Further announcements will be announced shortly."

I patiently waited near the entrance and so did other passengers. Then the number of passengers impatiently waiting grew after almost 2 hours of waiting. I panicked as my flight is drawing near. I texted my husband back home sensing that something weird is going on at the airport. I got a call from him in my mobile phone saying that based on CNN news, there was a bomb scare going on at Heathrow. Based on TV reports shown back home in cable TV, a passenger arriving from one of the European flights (Terminal 2 flights are mostly European airline flights) hurriedly ran outside and left his baggage at the Terminal. Police were doing the security check all over Terminal 2 making sure that no bomb whatsoever was installed.

I started to panic upon learning this information and thought of checking out alternative flights back home. I also started looking around hoping for a slim chance to encounter someone with a familiar face. I suddenly realized that I am in a foreign country on my own. I texted our office secretary in her mobile. Unfortunately, it was about 2 o clock in the morning back home. I was so fortunate receiving a message from her saying that she is trying to contact our travel agent as well on other possible options. Unfortunately, I need to book in airlines within the airport for flights going home. Alternative flight home are mostly by Asian airlines which are in Terminal 3. Unfortunately, I cannot take the underground pass going to Terminal 3 from Terminal 2 given the huge amount of people waiting along. Luckily, a few minutes there was an announcement that all Lufthansa passengers with the same flight as mine can now proceed to Terminal 2. I was shocked to see that a long line was waiting at my back. I managed to get an alternative flight c/o Lufthansa to Emirates but unfortunately instead of being in a business class from UK to Dubai, I am downgraded to economy class since this is the only seat available and I was very eager to go home the very same day. I did not mind the downgrade since I was looking forward to see my family again back home. With this experience, I vowed to myself never to travel alone in a foreign country again.

No comments: